Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Perspective

The morning after...always provides better perspective. Let's face it, as a white woman with access to good education and parents with money, it's not like I've experienced oppression first hand. I have friends who experience it on a daily basis so I hear stories of shit happening all the time. My strong reaction is because of that...I've not built up a resistance or an expectation. Jeff was recently harassed in a bar and called a faggot by some ignorant young men. DQ was bowling with co-workers when some white guy started throwing around the "n" word. A young butch woman I know was discounted by her femmy friends saying she'd never understand the fear of being attacked by a man. My perspective on life is through a lens as a white, feminine, socially typical female. I need and want people in my life who see through different lenses so that my perspective can broaden. What remains upsetting to me is that our society continues to judge people based on outward appearances. Just because I present as "typical" female, doesn't mean that's what I am. Yes, I cook and clean, sew and nurture. But I also have tattoos, strategically placed piercings, am totally queer, radical and leftist. You don't know all this just by looking at me. My son has dreds down to the middle of his back, wears all black clothes and plays metal music. His appearance would portray bad ass, but in reality he's the nicest, gentlest young man you'll meet. He's kind and funny but you'd never know that if you can't get past the hair and bull ring in his nose.

All this is teaching me that we have so much more work to do in becoming humane in our treatment of one another. I have to work harder on calling out bull shit - my own and others - each time I see it. I have to work harder in setting aside the prejudices that I bring to my day.

And, keep looking for a job. I got two calls for interviews today. Life goes on even when I don't feel like doing so.

No comments: