Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Value of Life

What puts meaning in life? Where do we find value? In our work -- sometimes but not for me right now. For most of my life, I found value through relationships -- by doing what someone else wanted me to, or not doing what they didn't want me to. In this space, at this time, I'm trying to figure out what I'm here, what is my worth and what is my value. Getting to the core of my belief system: I don't believe jesus was born of a virgin and died on the cross for my sins, I believe there is some power stronger than myself out there but I've not yet found a way to tap into it, I believe that all people are good and society does something that takes people down the wrong path (society being defined in the broadest sense to include family, religion, school, et al.), I believe that my family is the only thing that has seen me through the hardest time and not having that makes this hard time even harder, I believe that no one can know what motivates another in their choices which means we just don't have the right to judge, I believe that even with the best of intentions we hurt people around us, I believe that money is not the definer of worth. The crazy parts of me: I can't sleep with the window closed, I bake cookies when I'm upset, cleaning gives me comfort, I can't make a decision and stick to it, I find women who murder absolutely fascinating, I would love to meet Charles Manson and Kody "Monster" Scott and I wish I would have known my mom better.

No comments: