Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Pernicious...Pests...Pain...Progress

Thistles are considered 'pernicious' weeds and the only way to get rid of them is to dig deep, pull the entire root and fill the hole created with something else.

There's a thistle in my heart...it's pernicious, painful and needs to be pulled from the root.  I've let thistles grow in the garden of my heart for much too long and avoided the dirty work of getting on my knees, putting my hands in the dirt and pulling it out by the root.  The garden of my heart is beautiful...I love passionately, I give generously, I'm forgiving, funny, kind, intelligent and curious in astounding ways.  Yet, in this glorious garden of my heart there are thistles strewn throughout.  They poke me, catch me unawares and it's time to get rid of them.

I'm down on my knees, ready to dig in the dirt and pull them from my garden.  As I understand it, thistles, just like heartache, will reoccur over and over until you get to the very root of them and remove them completely, replacing them with 'competing ground cover'.  In this case, competing ground cover might look something like art, a good book, walks on the beach, amazing sex, good food, laughter, sleeping in a tent, cooking fish I caught, yoga...a myriad of things to fill in the holes being created by my digging.

Yes, it's a dirty job.  There are thistles that poke, dirt gets moved around, my shoulders are sore from the tension, my eyes are tired from the tears, but the garden of my Soul is worth the work.

Maybe, at the end of all this, I'll invite someone special into my garden to plant some seeds!


No comments: